Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Lost in Translation

Just to clarify, not everyone in France speaks English. On Sunday, I visited my host uncle's apartment and learned just how little English my host family speaks. Here are some examples:

Barbara: How old are you?
Louane: I am fine.

Wrong answer. Let's try again.


Louane: How old are you?
Barbara: I have 93-years-old.
Me: Barbara, that's not true.
Barbara: Oh, merde! How do you say 39?
Me: Not like that.

Then later...


My host uncle tried to ask if I was mocking his wife, but by accident he asked, "Are you fucking my wife?" "NO, I am not having sex with your wife!" I made him promise that if he ever came to America, he'd never ask this question.


That night, I took Boon for a walk. I think my host father phrased it pretty accurately when he said that Boon has "une tête de bois," or a head made of wood. If curiosity killed the cat, straight-up stupidity will be responsible for Boon's demise. He started licking pee or petrol off of the street. Who does that? Let me restate that Boon probably understands me the best of everyone in my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment